INDEPENDENT LIVING CENTER OF THE HUDSON VALLEY, INC.
15-17 Third Street, Troy, NY 12180
Voice/TTY (518) 274-0701 FAX (518) 274-7944
802 Columbia St, Fl.1, Hudson, NY 12534
Voice (518) 828-4886 TTY (518) 828-6293
FAX (518) 828-2592
Peer Advocate/Youth Transition Specialist
The Independent Living Center of the Hudson Valley is a consumer-led community organization providing direct services and advocating on behalf of persons with disabilities. We envision a world in which people with disabilities enjoy the same right for self-determination, economic freedom and full and equal participation in community life as their non-disabled peers. The Peer Advocate/Youth Transition Coordinator will work with both adults and young people to promote independence.
The responsibilities of the Peer Advocate/Youth Transition Specialist are to:
- Conduct outreach activities that will inform consumers of the availability of peer advocacy services;
- Assist consumers in identifying their future goals and laying out a plan to achieve them;
- Both advocate on behalf of consumers to ensure they receive all the services to which they are entitled and teach them how to become their own advocates;
- Engage young people in middle and high school, who are in need of assistance transitioning from school settings to work, post-secondary education, and living independently;
- Create a series of after school programs that will hone youth leadership skills. Programs may include on-site skills training, off-site visits to community settings such as work places, recreational areas, and cultural venues;
- Work with other youth serving organizations in the community to ensure the needs of youth with disabilities are addressed.
The qualifications are:
- A bachelor’s degree and one year of experience working with people with disabilities or four years of such experience;
- Ability to work independently;
- Knowledge of independent living and the disability service system;
- Preference given to individuals who have personal experience with disability.
This is a full time position (37½ hours per week); salary is $37,000. Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter to the address above, attention Karen Garofallou or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org