Our Ability Podcast: Disability and the Human Experience: Poetry, Ableism and Stephen KuusistoMay 9, 2022
Job Opportunity: Associate Web Developer | Kessler FoundationJune 27, 2022
Why Patients Need You
Pfizer’s purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients’ lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer’s purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best-in-class medicines to patients around the world.
What You Will Achieve
As an Intern in the in-vivo pharmacology team, you will learn and experience the end-to-end process of in-vivo pharmacology from the operations aspect of animal care and welfare, through animal handling and animal techniques, efficacy study conduct to tissue processing and data acquisition. Here you’ll find that everything we do, every day, is in line with an unwavering commitment to quality. The Internal Medicine Research Unit (IMRU) at our Cambridge, MA site is committed to finding cures for metabolic diseases including Cachexia, Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH), Obesity, Diabetes, Renal disease, and Heart failure. Our goal is to build a research team of driven scientists focused on identifying and developing novel therapies to improve metabolic homeostasis in patients afflicted with these diseases. The aim is to recruit a future scientist who is willing to learn and implement preclinical in vivo support for drug discovery projects and new target validation.
This intern will join Biology teams within IMRU and contribute to in-vivo studies to assess efficacy of novel therapy candidates as well as validate new drug targets. The successful candidate is expected to learn and execute all aspects of in-vivo experiments in rodent models. A desire to understand the underlying causes of metabolic diseases and basic metabolic pathways involved is essential and we look for a driven scientist motivated to have a deep understanding of the development of the diseases. It is your hard work and focus that will make Pfizer ready to achieve new milestones and help patients across the globe.
This is a part-time opportunity to start immediately on hire or as soon as possible. It is ideal for enrolled students, although recent graduates will also be considered. Since we promote a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace, and we are also disability-friendly, we highly encourage talent with disabilities to apply.
How You Will Achieve It
- Learn all areas of in-vivo pharmacology to support studies
- Contribute to in vivo experiments to address key mechanistic and pharmacological scientific questions.
- Quantify/translate experimental results, communicate/ present data and provide recommendations for next steps.
- Working effectively with peers to support projects and workgroup goals.
- Candidate is expected to maintain high-quality, detailed experimental records.
- Stay current on all departmental and corporate training.
- Currently enrolled in college or recent (2022) graduates
- Willingness to work with animals including rodent in vivo dosing and handling techniques
- Some knowledge of tissue dissection and tissue preparation
- Candidate is expected to be highly detail-oriented, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization and planning skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment independently or as part of a team, strong motivation with a dedicated work ethic.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to collaborate and work in team environment.
- Biochemistry major or related discipline
- Related experience in animal research
- Experience in working with animal tissues and processing
- Experience in standard mammalian cell culture
- The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and quick learner who is able to multitask and be comfortable working in a team environment
- Must be able to wear standard PPE (lab coat/safety shoes/glasses/etc.)
- Must not have animal allergies
Interested candidates should communicate their interest in the internship role by sending their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .