Our Ability Alliance 2021 | New York Business EmploymentMarch 12, 2021
Our Ability Podcast: What is Your Dream Your TeamApril 8, 2021
Timothy A. Clune Esq. joins John Robinson on the March 26, 2021 Our Ability Podcast. Tim became the Executive Director of Disability Rights New York on April 1, 2013. Currently DRNY has a staff of approximately 70, with offices in Albany, Brooklyn and Rochester, New York.
In this episode, we discussed that individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities were three times more likely to contract COVID and three times more likely to die from Covid in 2020 in New York State. We discussed an agreement between the United States Department of Justice and Amtrak on inaccessibility as well as mental health at the forefront of legislative needs.
- For more information directly from the report: (Page 4 second pp of Ex Sum)
- This Report highlights the disparate impacts COVID-19 has had on individuals with I/DD residing in congregate care settings, specifically group homes certified by the New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (“OPWDD”). People with I/DD in group homes are three times more likely to contract COVID-19 and three times more likely to die from it compared to the general population of New York.
- From the Systems in Crisis Report: Quote from Tim from Press Release
- “This report provides the framework for much needed conversations with communities and responding agencies to address the real issues facing our families and neighbors when in a mental health crisis. For far too long, the response to these calls have put those in need in danger, with fatal outcomes. It is our hope that through this work, there will be real change ensuring the safety and compassionate care of those who need our help.” Timothy A. Clune, Esq., Executive Director DRNY.
- Amtrak began accepting claims for monetary compensation for people with mobility disabilities who traveled or wanted to travel from or to one of the 78 stations listed below and encountered accessibility issues at the stations. Stations in New York State are Hudson, Plattsburgh and Port Henry, Claims must be submitted by May 29, 2021
- Online: AmtrakDisabilitySettlement.com
- Email: info@AmtrakDisabilitySettlement.com
- Telephone (toll-free): 1-888-334-6165
- TTY Telephone (toll-free): 1-866-411-6976